Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Shocker!

This is just kind of a general announcement that I will be soon changing my major from Geology to Basket Weaving, er, I mean, East Asian Studies. I have found that while I think rocks are neat and I like Geology conceptually, I just can't stand it (or science in general) in practice. I believe Einstein sums it up best when he says that science as an interest and a hobby is a wonderful thing, but actually pursuing it and being involved in the process ruins it for you in some ways. This is true with me. I will get a Minor in Geology and be on my merry way into a major with no known outcome...but that's OK, because I know that God will take care of me as he has continually this year and I am not going to sweat it. I am going to do what I like, and I know that what I put my hand to, God will bless. I was strongly considering changing my major last semester, but got cold feet and moreover decided to at least finish the year with geology and see how I felt about it.

The irony is this: I am more likely to graduate on time now that I have decided to change my major than if I had stuck with Geology. Funny? You bet!

Also, I will be going to China next winter and currently have about 1/2 the cost covered in a $300 down payment I made and the $2,200 scholarship that I got to go to China. Between all the different costs including tuition for the classes I will be taking, it will be about $5,000 (just for the study abroad trip in winter session), so I am already halfway there. Things have become complicated, however, as the gravy train has more or less ground to a halt and I will not be receiving help for tuition or rent from my family this year. Therefore, this paragraph is a shameless advertisement for my cause, and if anyone wants to sow into my education, I would be very grateful.

So. Anyway. East Asian Studies. Whoohoo!

No comments: